Pages

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Trusting God, Even When Life Hurts

For the past few months, my family has been going through this book called "Trusting God, Even When Life Hurts" by Jerry Bridges. I used to think it was very good...and made sense and all,but it didn't really mean much to me. Over the past two weeks though, several very serious bad things have happened to several of my friends and church family. A few of them are things that make you think that you're stuck in a nightmare...and just can't wake up. But I can now apply this book to life. The book's main point is trusting God even when life hurts. (note the title) Here are some things that I am now applying to life that I found extremely comforting.

"In order to trust God, we must always view our adverse circumstances through the eyes of faith, not sense.....that faith comes through the word or God alone."

"3 truths we must believe if we are to trust Him in adversity:

1.God is completely sovereign

2.God is infinite in wisdom

3.God is perfect in love

"Our suffering has meaning and purpose in God's eternal plan, and He brings or allows to come into our lives only that which is for His glory and our good."

This is only a tiny tiny sample of what Jerry Bridges has written on this topic. I totally recommend this book to everybody. Even if your not going through tough times now, you most likely will in your lifetime. And this book will give you some ideas how to help your friends who are hurting...because I don't know about you, but knowing that God is in control and how everything will eventually turn out for good just gives me peace. We might not see any good come out of our adversity in our life time....but God has a plan, a plan for good that cannot be thwarted. This book explains everything in such a clear understandable way and should clear up many questions you have.

2 comments:

Beth said...

It's always difficult when I can't see God's ultimate plan and just the pain and heartache instead. But you are right, God *does* have a plan for each of us and He *is* watching out for us...I just need to be reminded sometimes.

Amy said...

Ashley,

Been praying for you over the last few weeks. Know that you are LOVED and MISSED dearly. Cling to these truths, girl!